Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Summertime

Well we are getting ready for our yearly 4th of July celebration. We always have a big cook-out PARTY at my mom's. There is swimming, a parade around the pool by the grandkids and some of us big kids :), dancing to patriotic and summertime party music (by grandkids mostly), a big cook-out with usually around 20 - 25 people, more swimming, a family firework buying event at the local firework stands, and then a firework display that could rival some professional events in the last couple of years. That is in part due to me and my nephew Sam plus my niece Anna planning the fireworks display :) I have been trying to officially pass the torch of firework display coordinator to my nephew Sam for a year or two. Last year I told him that was it for me and I had faith that I had trained him well. If he was reading this, which I know he is not, he would be getting a kick out of this post! I have been taking my 2 older nephews and my oldest 2 nieces for as long as I had a drivers license to purchase fireworks. The group has grown now with the addition of my own children and more nieces and nephews (which does make the shopping experience a little more difficult (scratch that) fun. It is always hot, sometimes raining, and always fun. This year I bought some glow in the dark sticks for all the kids to run around with at night. I usually try to get some patriotic hats or headbands but this year I am simplifying a little. My mom always fixes brownies with little flags in them and she has her backyard and deck totally red white and blued out! We are talking streamers people, and lights in the shape of stars, table top decorations and matching plates, napkins, etc You get the point. We kinda go all out.

2 comments:

  1. You should post a link to this on facebook...I have no clue how to do that, but a lot of other people do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my blog link up but don't know how to post an update to facebook.

    ReplyDelete