Thursday, November 4, 2010

Be all you can be

Today I am thinking about all the things I want to teach my kids while they are still listening! :) I made a list some time ago of the things that I wanted to make sure and teach my children one day. Then, I asked them what things did they want mom or dad to teach them? The abundance of answers I got was amazing! One said he wanted to know how to turn a cartwheel really good...the other said he needs to know how to cook like a chef. Both wanted to learn about growing things in a garden and both had interests in learning everything they could about animals such as dogs and snakes. I also heard from one that he wants to know about China and what it is like there and how to speak a little Chinese. My point is I could not believe what happened when I just asked them! They would list a thing or two and I would say..is that all..anything else? Then the list would continue and continue...I worked on their lists for a little while but have neglected them lately. I am determined to get back to teaching them the things that they are hoping to learn from me plus a few more that I want them to know. Here are some of the topics we are covering: China, anatomy of a human, dog breeds, snakes, cooking..including reading a recipe, become familiar with different types of music, car parts/mechanics, tool identification and use, healthy living..including different exercise they can practice, Bible stories, etc. We haven't gotten to all the topics yet but we are working our way through them. I want them to be the best they can be but I am careful to not push too hard or expect too much.....afterall I do realize we are dealing with a 5 year old and an 8 year old here :) Keeping it age appropriate is the key to success here! I want to mention that they're not going to excel in every area or love every topic. However, it does help to identify their natural interests and strengths.

2 comments:

  1. Is that picture from Mom's? Made me think, I should ask my kids that same question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is at mom's. I read in a book that we should ask our kids what they want us to teach them at different points during their life.

    ReplyDelete